Here at Inspired LED we occasionally get phone calls about lighting glare on granite and similar surfaces. For now, we’ll call it the Dot Effect. Granite is like a mirror and whatever light you put above it, it will reflect, whether it be a LED strip or you use some type of diffuser. Here we will discuss how you can eliminate this effect while keeping the same amount of light underneath your cabinets.
- First, if you have cabinets with frames, use a tool such as the oscillating multi-tool saw attachment to cut about a quarter to a ½ inch notch.
- Measure the length of your cabinets and subtract 1.5 inches from each side to enable the power supply or additional cables to be plugged into the end of the strips.
- Place your flex strip on the lip of the cabinet facing the backsplash. Use masking tape to temporarily place the flex strips before using the adhesive backing.
- The ½ inch notch allows you to run one continuous strip along your cabinet lip and the strips are flexible enough to bend around corners.
- Plug in your power supply to ensure perfect lighting placement. If you like your flex strip placement, secure with the adhesive backing. Now, your LEDs are facing the backsplash.
- Inspired LED’s lights will give you enough under cabinet lighting. Plus it eliminates the glare, or dot effect, on granite and other similar surfaces.